Cooking Time: 1 3/4 Hours
1 medium fennel bulb
5 large carrots, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
1 large white onion, quartered, divided
1 medium lemon
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon pepper
1 broiler/fryer chicken (4 pounds)
2 garlic cloves
1 cup orange juice
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Using a sharp knife, trim stalks and root end of fennel bulb. Cut bulb lengthwise into quarters; cut and remove core. Cut fennel into 1-in. wedges. Place fennel, carrots and three of the onion quarters in a shallow roasting pan, spreading evenly.
2. Cut lemon in half; squeeze juice into a small bowl, reserving lemon halves. Stir minced garlic, honey, salt, pepper flakes and pepper into juice.
3. Place chicken on a work surface, neck side down. With fingers, carefully loosen skin from the tail end of the chicken breast. Spoon juice mixture under skin of breast; secure skin with toothpicks. Place garlic cloves, lemon halves and remaining onion inside the chicken cavity. Tuck wings underneath; tie drumsticks together. Place chicken over vegetables, breast side up.
4. Pour orange juice over chicken. Roast 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175°. (Cover loosely with foil if the chicken browns too quickly.)
5. Remove roasting pan from oven; increase oven setting to 450°. Remove chicken from pan; tent with foil and let stand 15 minutes before carving.
6. Meanwhile, return roasting pan to oven; roast vegetables 10-15 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender and lightly browned. Using a slotted spoon, remove vegetables from pan. If desired, skim fat from pan juices and serve with chicken and vegetables.
Nutrition Info: 292 cal., 8g fat (2g sat. fat), 98mg chol., 470mg sod., 20g carb. (12g sugars, 4g fiber), 34g pro.